O’Brien & Smith Lawyers has a long and intricate history dating back to 1907 when Reginald Wilmoth (a later mayor of Horsham) and Tyson Asbridge Pearson established legal offices in Firebrace Street, Horsham. Mr Wilmoth practised until 1954 when he retired due to ill-health. The practice passed hands and locations several times up until Denis O’Brien purchased the firm in 1975.
From1975 until 2019 Denis O’Brien operated the firm, as sole principal or partner, at the firm’s current location at 64 McLachlan Street, Horsham. The firm increased in size during Denis’ tenure as principal of the firm including through the acquisition of Simon Swayn & Associates and the firm of Brian McGrath.
In 2019 the firm changed name from ‘O’Brien Lawyers’ to ‘O’Brien & Smith Lawyers’ to reflect Patrick Smith’s new role as principal of the firm.
This photograph, depicting the breakdown of a bullock team in 1910, shows the site of the original offices of Reginald Wilmoth and Tyson Asbridge Pearson.